Peter, Jordyn and Irene

As most of you know Hurricane Irene swept up the east coast causing destruction every place she hit. P and I have learned that Philadelphia loves to prepare for disasters; last winter it was the snow storm of the century, then it was the "end of the world", this time a hurricane. We weren't really concerned about snow and the world coming to an end but being from Utah and not ever having to deal with a hurricane we thought it best to be somewhat prepared. We cleared our patio off, brought the 72 hour kits out of the basement (defeats the purpose, I know!) and then headed to Target to get some canned fruit and vegetables. The store was a mad house! Not only was it back to school but people were preparing for the worst.


Once we had the basics we went home and waited to hear when we could expect to get hit. I was a fairly uneventful evening, we had pizza for dinner, played games via candle light, watched a movie on the computer and then went to bed.

P got up early this morning and went for a run, I stayed in bed since I was up late because I was too anxious to go to sleep. When he came home he said that Center City felt like a scene from "I am Legend" all the business were closed and there was not the daily hustle and bustle of the city. I decided I wanted to photograph this historical occasion so we got dressed and went down to the Schuylkill river to see what damage had been done there. Downed trees, power lines, and the area surrounding the river was flooded. All the trash had been swept along the edges, entire trees floating in the water and boat houses flooded. P and I go run by the river daily, it is one of my favorite places in the city because it doesn't feel like the city. All of the trees, the river, the rocks all remind me of Utah; it is quiet there and the air is fresh and has a clean smell. You see people of all shapes, sizes, and ages running or walking. People with their dogs, children, friends, husbands, wives, partners, everyone taking the time necessary to clear their minds; P and I have had some of our best talks along that river. Having access to that area makes living in a big city easier for me. Seeing all of the destruction there today was sad for me, I hope that things will be repaired and the area will restore to the one I know and love. When things return back to normal I will photograph the same areas so that you can compare. 


A lot of people came to the river today, some were running as usual and the others were taking pictures trying to remember what things looked like yesterday. 


Governor Corbett said that the river may not crest until Tuesday so we are not out of the woods yet with the flooding. I am happy to say I survived my first Hurricane, haha! On a serious note, I hope that everyone is safe and relatively unaffected by this storm. And, to the families to have lost someone my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours at this time.

1 comment:

  1. Jordyn!! How did I just BARELY find your blog?!?! I LOVE IT!!! and Rylee did such a great job with your design! I miss you both and am excited to read about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete